Saturday 24 September 2011

It's Hockey Night in Winnipeg!


Earlier this week, the resurrected Winnipeg Jets played their first home game in 15 years at the new MTS Centre in downtown Winnipeg. The Jets triumphed in the preseason exhibition game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Ecstatic Winnipeg fans were in a frenzy. Here's the scene as described by sports writer Roy MacGregor of The Globe and Mail:

"In 2011," the MTS Centre scoreboard read, "The NHL Returned to the Greatest Fans in the World."

And it certainly seemed so. They screamed throughout the warm-up and sang O Canada as if the players on the ice had just won Olympic gold.

And then they got really loud. A mere 37 seconds into . . . [the] game, Byfuglian levelled Columbus's Cody Bass with a single punch -- Bass likely unaware of Byfuglian's mood, given that the big Winnipeg defenceman had been formally charged only hours earlier by Minnesota police for allegedly being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol while operating his boat in late August.

Once the fighting penalties had been served, it was Byfuglian setting up Paul Postma for a point shot that became the reborn Jets first goal . . . of the new era.

*sigh* Oh yeah, baby, now that's sweet hockey. Very sweet indeed.

Welcome home, boys! All is right with the world again.


[Photo by Phil Hossack of the Winnipeg Free Press]

20 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I have been listening to people's enthusiasm about the return of the team on CBC and I am happy that the game is back. I don't understand the violent culture of it though and personally can't support it as a result. I did hope that after what happened with Sydney Crosby that things would change but... apparently not. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

you made me smile this morning,,

DEZMOND said...

hope you didn't have any falling satellites in Winnipeg last night!

Snap said...

YeeHaw!!!!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I would have given anything to see that game!
WELCOME HOME JETS!!!!
And yes, I think the new sweater is pretty nice.
(plus the fight sounds terrific....I do indeed watch hockey for good, clean, tough-guy fights)
The Universe is slightly more in balance now! (if only we could get the team out of Phoenix....and get rid of Betman too....)

XXOO~~
Anne

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am very happy to see more hockey back in canada! i mean, we have hockey here but hockey in the south is just not right!!!

Contrary Guy said...

From an American hockey fan, a well deserved return home by the Jets!

Robin Larkspur said...

How happy the fans are and hooo-ray for them all! Hooooo-ray for hockey season about to begin! I am wearing my Buffalo Sabres Crocs already!

DB Stewart said...

Every once in a while, wrongs get righted.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Freaking thugs. I love it.

laughingwolf said...

do they have a 'benny' on the team or staff?
if not, they need to get one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLlpJc9mW0

Elena said...

You know, I always say I hate sports but you reminded me how much I loved going to the hockey games. Great photo...can see the passion!

Tricky Nag said...

Only a bit of a fan, but am thrilled the Jets are home!!
Enjoy!

yellowdoggranny said...

YEAH! for your team..good news..and I'm so happy for you...

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

How exciting for you! Being from the Boston area I am a Bruins fan, but I have to tell you, I've always enjoyed listening to "O Canada" it's one of my favorite anthems!

Also, thank you for your kind words about my mom, she will be forever missed and in our hearts.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

hey...that glass of wine is sitting here on the drainboard with your name on it !!!!!

kary and l'il teddy

did you know l'il teddy is named after joyce's teddy of octoberfarm...she saved me when Buddy died...so i named my new baby..... Teddy !!!!

kary and teddy

Unknown said...

Big new for the Peg!

While not a real hockey fan, I do love what the team's return has done for the city!

-E- said...

now i believe that you're canadian!

Jeanne said...

Aaahhhhh... Hockey Night in Canada! :0)

Joyful Things said...

When I lived in Winnipeg I rarely missed a game. Glad they are back.